It is customary in our Madhwa families to make two palyas and two kosambaris during any occasion. As I have mentioned many times onion, garlic, and for that matter even carrot isn’t used. So, coming next month is Shrava masa right? So, if you are following tradition and want to make two Palyas here is one you can do in minutes: Aloogade Palya.
- 4 Potatoes
- 3 Green Chillies slit lenghtwise
- 1 sprig curry leaves finely chopped
- 3-4 springs coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger finely grated
- Lemon juice to taste
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp jeera, and 1/4 tsp haldi
- Clean, boil and remove the skin of the potatoes. Chop into bite size pieces. You can boil them traditional way or use microwave.
- Next, in a pan heat oil. Add mustard seeds, jeera, green chiilies, curry leaves and Haldi. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add potatoes, and grated ginger. Keep frying for another 3-4 minutes on low heat.
- Finally, add salt, and coriander leaves.
- Just before serving, add the lemon juice.
Another look at the Aloogadde palya: