Anytime I prepare Idli, there is always little amount of batter left which makes like around 5-6 idlis. And, this quantity isn’t sufficient for any one person. So, I use the leftover Idli batter to prepare masale idli. It is healthy, quick and very delicious.
The color is just amazing, the color of the carrots, the green peas bursting their green color, the yellow of the channa dal, just beautiful to even look at.
So, here comes the recipe for this tricolor idli.
- 2 Cups Idli Batter
- 5 tsp channa dal soaked in water
- 3 carrots finely grated
- handful of peas
- 3 tsp fresh grated coconut
- 2 finely chopped green chillies (Optional)
- 5 sprigs coriander leaves finely chopped.
- Soak the channa dal or kadale bele in water for almost an hour. Drain the water.
- In a large bowl, Mix the Idli batter with the drained channa dal, and all ingredients listed above.
- Add salt to taste also.
- Some of my relatives add a pinch of baking soda also. It is again optional.
- Grease Idli trays and pour the batter.
- Steam the idlis for 8-10 minutes until done.
- Serve with chutney, or sambar.
- Very good for your lunch box as well.
- Takes around 30 minutes to prepare.
- makes 16 idlis.