Cucumber or Southekai Palya is prepared on many important occasions in any Madhwa house. This palya was prepared twice during my visit to Bangalore, in two of my Brother-in-Law’s houses; one for Mahalaya Amavasya and another for Sri Satyanarayana Pooja. It is quick, healthy and easy to prepare.
- 1 cucumber or southekai chopped evenly by removing the skin and the seeds
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 red chilli
- 1/2 fresh coconut finely grated
- for tampering: 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, pinch of hing, 1 tsp channa dal, 1 tsp urad dal, 2 tsp oil, salt to taste
- Wash, peel the skin, remove the seeds and chop cucumber evenly.
- In a pan, add oil. When the oil is heated, add mustard seeds, hing, channa dal, urad dal. When the dal changes color.
- Next, add the cucumber and a few spoons of water. Cover and let it cook.
- When the cucumber is soft, add salt to taste. Mix well.
- Finally, add coconut.
- Serve with rice or even with chapathi.
- Also, check the way it is served on the right hand side of the plantain leaf.