It has been almost 3 years since I posted the recipe for Sweet ot Sihi Kootu. Many of you asked for the recipe for Khara – Spicy Kootu. Even though I prepared this many times in the past 3 years, I really didn’t have anytime to take pictures and post the same. Last weekend, we went to Indian grocery store and brought winter melon, also called ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ. My Husband and I kept talking about what to prepare. We had two options, Majjige Huli or Khara Kootu. At last, we decided to prepare Kootu. So, attached below is the pictorial details of how to prepare mouth watering, taste like Rayara Mutta ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ ಖಾರ ಕೂಟು – Winter Melon Spicy Kootu.
Ingredients for grinding:
- 5 red chillies ಕೆಂಪು ಮೆಣಸಿನಕಾಯಿ
- 10 black pepper ಮೆಣಸು
- 3 tso urad dal ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ
- 3 tsp channa dal ಕಡಲೆ ಬೇಳೆ
- 3 tsp coriander seeds ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಬೀಜ
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut ತೆಂಗಿನ ಕಾಯಿ grated
- 2 tsp tamarind ಹುಣಿಸೆ ಹಣ್ಣು paste
- 1/2 winter melon ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ cleaned, and cut into 1 and 1/2 – 2 inches thick
- 1/2 lb french beans ಹುರಳಿ ಕಾಯಿ ( optional)
- 1/2 lb carrots ಗಜ್ಜರಿ (optional)
- 2 cup toor dal ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ, washed and cooked in pressure cooker
- handful of peanuts. ಕಡಲೆ ಕಾಯಿ / ಶೇಂಗಾ ಬೀಜ / ನೆಲಗಡಲೆ
- curry leaves ಕರಬೇವು
- mustard seeds ಸಾಸಿವೆ , hing ಇಂಗು , and turmeric ಅರಿಶಿನ for seasoning
- 1 tsp jaggery ಬೆಲ್ಲ
- Fry all the ingredients listed in grinding, except coconut and tamarind
- Add the coconut to this fried ingredients.
- Take a microwave safe vessel, and cook the winter melon until they are tender. A little bit on the harder side.
- In a big vessel, add oil. Around 2-3 tsp. Next add all the ingredients listed in the seasoning. Add also the peanuts.
- Fry for a few minutes, and next add the cooked winter melon.
- Mix all the ingredients well, and now add the ground mixture
- Let this boil for a few minutes. Make sure it doesn’t burn, this happens if the steel vessel you are using doesn’t have a thick bottom.
- Now, add the cooked dal. and let it boil for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the Kootu is done, serve with Rice, and fried Happala and sandige.
- Enjoy the spicy ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ ಖಾರ ಕೂಟು – Winter Melon Spicy Kootu.
P.S: It has been a while since I wrote anything in Kannada, and I had no clue what was ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ called in English and actually how to spell it in Kannada. My Husband came to my rescue and sent me a link which had a list of all Indian vegetables names in many languages and Kannada as well. Attached below is a list for the same. Thanks so much, Raghu.