Sneha, my Daughter loves ಗೆಣಸು, Yam or sweet potato palya. Every time she visits me, I have to make this for her. Now that she has her own car, and doesn’t have to wait for us to come back from work to go to the grocery store, she buys Yam from the stores, and asks me to prepare the palya. She eats it as is, doesn’t require rice or chapathi.
So, here comes the most easiest palya to prepare.
- 2 firm Yams ಗೆಣಸು, washed, peeled and cut into small pieces
- for seasoning : mustard seeds ಸಾಸಿವೆ , hing ಇಂಗು , and turmeric ಅರಿಶಿನ, red chillies ಕೆಂಪು ಮೆಣಸಿನಕಾಯಿ, urad dal ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ(ptional), channa dal ಕಡಲೆ ಬೇಳೆ(optional), curry leaves ಕರಬೇವು (optional)
- fresh coconut ತೆಂಗಿನ ಕಾಯಿ grated (optional)
- Place the finely chopped Yams ಗೆಣಸು in a microwave safe bowl. Sprinkle few drops of water, and microwave until tender.
- In a pan, heat oil and add all the seasonings. Add curry leaves ಕರಬೇವು.
- When the urad dal and channa dal change color, add the cooked Yams ಗೆಣಸು.
- Add grated coconut ತೆಂಗಿನ ಕಾಯಿ.
- Mix well. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with Rice or chapathi.
If you are like Sneha, just eat it as is.