This is one of those fried items which can’t go wrong at any cost. It is so easy and simple. Always prepared during Krishna Janmasthami.
The ingredients are also very few, and the procedure is even simpler. So, here is what you need and how you make crunchy and spicy ShankarPoli. Any idea why it is called ShankarPoli?
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour or Maida
- 3 tsp red hot chilli powder
- 2 tsp Jeera
- Pinch of Hing
- Salt to taste
- 3 tsp oil
- Oil for frying
- In a bowl add all the dry ingredients; flour, chilli powder, jeera, salt, hing. Mix well.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add this hot oil to the dry ingredients in the bowl.
- Slowly, add water and make a firm dough.
- Roll this dough like chapathi, let it be as thin as possible. If it sticks while rolling, sprinkle dry flour.
- Cut these into diamond shapes, or any shape you like.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium. When it is hot, fry these cut diamond shaped Shakar Poli.
- Take out on a paper towel, and store in an air tight container.
It is quick, easy, spicy and crunchy. To top it all, it can be prepared in minutes and turns out great every time you prepare.
P.S: Make sure you fry on a medium heat, if not you will burn the ShankarPolis.