In our Indian food culture, curd or yogurt has carved a special place for itself. No Indian meal is complete without a cup of curd and rice, most commonly called Mosaru Anna in south. Curd is eaten both with salt and sugar. Salty curd usually called Majjige is prepared with 1 cup curd, 1 cup water, coriander leaves, and curry leaves all ground together.
As far as various dishes prepared with curd, the list is endless. Raitas, pachadis, mosarubajis, kadhi, dahiwada etc etc. Be it north, south, east or west, every region has its own specialty in preparation using curd.
Curd is also used with some green leafed plant. One which comes into my mind is the Doddapatre plant. The leaves of this plant are fried and ground and mixed with curd and eaten. It was grown in our backyard. I have seen many growing this plant in pots also. It’s said that any kind of rash on the body vanishes after you eat this leaf.
Did you know curd is also a beauty aid? Mix besan, haldi in curd and apply on your face. Leave it for 10-15 minutes. Wash away. It keeps the wrinkles away. Who knew?
In our temples, we do use curds everyday to prepare Panchamrita, right? Tastes so good.
So let us continue to use more and more of curds and benefit from it on a daily basis.
Some other benefits of Curd are listed below:
- It boosts Immune response .
- It Lowers LDL, Raises HDL Cholesterol
- Yogurt May Reduce the Risk of High Blood Pressure
- Yogurt May Help Prevent Osteoporosis
- Lower Body Fat Linked to Consumption of Calcium-Rich Foods
- Calcium-rich Dairy Foods Boost the Body’s Fat Burning After a Meal
- Boost the Body’s Ability to Build Bone
- Help Prevent and Heal Arthritis
Here are some of the recipes I have in my blog for yogurt.
- Carrot and Tomato Raita
- Neeru Majjige or Spicy Yogurt
- Yogurt Rice
- Badnekayi Mosaru Bajji or Roasted Eggplant Raita
- Majjige Huli
- Mosaru Avalakki
Do you want to share any curd recipe? Let me know, I will post them here of if you have a blog, provide a link for your page.
P.S: I guess these are the reasons why we were made to eat curd after every meal, right? I still remember my mom saying “You can’t leave the kitchen without eating Mosaru Anna”. Thanks MOM.