Rasam or Saaru ಸಾರು as it is called in Kannada is very commonly prepared in our houses. Especially in South India, and in all my relatives houses Rasam or Saaru is prepared almost everyday. Maybe it is in other household also, I don’t know. Since many of you have been asking for this, below is the recipe. This is the recipe I got from my Mysore Ajji. Thanks, Ajji.
Attached below is the recipe for authentic Rasam or Saaru powder prepared in our household. Please note, if someone is having dry cough make sure you prepare this when they are away. Especially frying Red Chillies is extremely strong.
- Coriander Seeds (ಕೊತಂಬರಿ ಬೀಜ ) – 1 cup
- Red Chillies (ಮೆಣಸಿನ ಕಾಯಿ )- 1 cup ( use 1/2 cup Byadagi and 1/2 cup Guntur). This gives a nice red color and will also be spicy.
- Whole Black Pepper (ಮೆಣಸು)- 1/8 cup ( use less if you want less spice)
- Cumin Seeds (ಜೀರಿಗೆ )- 1/8 cup
- Methi Seeds (ಮೆಂಥ್ಯ)- 1/8 cup
- Mustard Seeds (ಸಾಸಿವೆ )- 1/8 cup
- Hing-Asafotedia (ಇಂಗು )- 1 tsp
- Fry each and every ingredient listed above separately with very little oil.
- Once all are fried, let it cool. Grind to a fine powder.
- Strain the powder once or twice.
- And grind again.
- You will have finely ground fresh aromatic Rasam Powder – Saarina Pudi
P.S: ಮೈಸೂರ್ ಅಜ್ಜಿ ಪ್ರಕಾರ ಎಲ್ಲ ಬೇರೆ ಬೇರೆಯಾಗಿ ಹುರಿದು ನುಣ್ಣಗೆ ಕುಟ್ಟ ಬೇಕು.