The most healthy and nutritious sambar you can ever make. This goes well with Rice, chapathi and Roti. This sambar is so filling, tasty and very healthy. I usually never make Sambar with just the powder, but this one was very tasty.
Wait until you see the next post where I made an amazing roti out of something left over and used this sambar for accompaniment.
Ingredients for the masala:
Ingredients for the huli:
- 1 cup toor dal
- 2 big bunches of Spinach, washed and chopped finely ( I used frozen Spinach)
- 1 cup white beans, washed and cooked ( I used canned)
- 1 cup Garbanzo(chick Pea) beans, washed and cooked ( I used canned)
- 3-4 tsp huli pudi
- 3 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- Salt to taste
- For seasoning – Oil, Mustard seeds, Jeera, Haldi, Hing, curry leaves, 1 red chilli
- Pressure cook toor dal along with spinach and both beans.
- I used frozen spinach and canned beans, so added it to cooked toor dal later.
- In a big vessel, add 3 tsp oil. Add mustard seeds, jeera, hing, curry leaves, and haldi.
- Add tomato paste and tamrind paste.
- Now add the Huli powder.
- When it starts boiling, add the cooked toor dal, spinach and beans. Add salt to taste.
Serve with Rice or chapathi.
You can find Sambar Powder recipe here:
This November 20th, when I visited Mantralaya with my parents, we had food at the Rayara Mutta. Dad and I sat down to eat food, and Mom since has knee problems ate on the table a bit far away from us. My Dad and I enjoyed the kootu, which was spicy, hot and full of vegetables. The vegetables used were winter melon ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ, sweep pumpkin ಸಿಹಿ ಕುಂಬಳ ಕಾಯಿ, Ridge Gourd ಹೀರೆ ಕಾಯಿ.
As soon as I told my daughter when I came back here about my trip and the amazing food we had at Rayara mutt, she shopped with her father and brought all these three vegetables including fresh ground nuts and asked me to make it exactly the same way.
I had already posted the recipe for Kootu, so just the vegetables were replaced. It tasted just like the ones we ate at Rayara mutta. Give it a try, and keep me posted.
Ingredients for grinding:
- 5 red chillies ಕೆಂಪು ಮೆಣಸಿನಕಾಯಿ
- 10 black pepper ಮೆಣಸು
- 3 tso urad dal ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ
- 3 tsp channa dal ಕಡಲೆ ಬೇಳೆ
- 3 tsp coriander seeds ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಬೀಜ
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut ತೆಂಗಿನ ಕಾಯಿ grated
- 2 tsp tamarind ಹುಣಿಸೆ ಹಣ್ಣು paste
- 1/2 winter melon ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ cleaned, and cut into 1 and 1/2 – 2 inches thick
- 1/2 ಸಿಹಿ ಕುಂಬಳ ಕಾಯಿ Sweet Pumpkin
- 4-5 Ridge Gourd ಹೀರೆ ಕಾಯಿ
- 2 cup toor dal ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ, washed and cooked in pressure cooker
- handful of peanuts. ಕಡಲೆ ಕಾಯಿ / ಶೇಂಗಾ ಬೀಜ / ನೆಲಗಡಲೆ
- curry leaves ಕರಬೇವು
- mustard seeds ಸಾಸಿವೆ , hing ಇಂಗು , and turmeric ಅರಿಶಿನ for seasoning
- 1 tsp jaggery ಬೆಲ್ಲ
- Fry all the ingredients listed in grinding, except coconut and tamarind
- Add the coconut to this fried ingredients.
Next, add the tamarind and grind all these in a mixer.
- Take a microwave safe vessel, and cook the winter melon ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ, sweep pumpkin ಸಿಹಿ ಕುಂಬಳ ಕಾಯಿ, Ridge Gourd ಹೀರೆ ಕಾಯಿ until they are tender. A little bit on the harder side. I cooked all of them separately.
- In a big vessel, add oil. Around 2-3 tsp. Next add all the ingredients listed in the seasoning. Add also the peanuts.
- Fry for a few minutes, and next add the cooked winter melon ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ, sweep pumpkin ಸಿಹಿ ಕುಂಬಳ ಕಾಯಿ, Ridge Gourd ಹೀರೆ ಕಾಯಿ..
- Mix all the ingredients well, and now add the ground mixture
- Let this boil for a few minutes. Make sure it doesn’t burn, this happens if the steel vessel you are using doesn’t have a thick bottom.
- Now, add the cooked dal, jaggery and let it boil for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the Kootu is done, serve with Rice, and fried Happala and sandige.
- Enjoy the spicy winter melon ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ, sweep pumpkin ಸಿಹಿ ಕುಂಬಳ ಕಾಯಿ, Ridge Gourd ಹೀರೆ ಕಾಯಿ or as it is called ರಾಯರ ಕೂಟು .
Snake Gourd Kootu – Paduvala Kayi Kootu is a dish which my Husband loves dearly. Last week when we went to H-Mart found Snake Gourd, and both kinds of Pumpkin. He wanted me to make this Kootu, so here is the recipe.
I used the same procedure as posted in Sweet or Sihi Kootu. Used Moong dal instead of Toor dal.
The very first time I fried all the ingredients I received a phone call, lowered the heat and went to take the call. By the time I came back the ingredients where charred black. Had to redo the whole thing again. So, while frying the ingredients, stay close to the Gas Stove. :)
Ingredients to grind:
- Urad dal or Uddina Bele – 1 tablespoon
- Whole Black pepper or Menasu – 10
- Raw Rice – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
- Whole Red Chillies – 5 (use less than less spicy)
- Fresh or dry coconut – 5 tablespoons
P.S: 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
- 1 big Snake Gourd washed and chopped
- 1 cup cooked Moong dal or Hesaru Bele
- For seasoning : Oil, mustard seeds, hing, turmeric.
- Fry all the ingredients mentioned in ingredients to grind. Once it is cooled, grind into a smooth paste.
- Cook moong dal in pressure cooker along with Snake Gourd.
- In a big vessel, mix the cooked dal, add the ground paste.
- Add salt.
- In a pan, heat oil. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, hing, turmeric.
- Add this to the dal, and vegetable mixture.
- Let it boil for a few more minutes.
- Serve with rice or chapathi.
- I had made Sweet Pumpkin Palya and fried a few Happala and Sandige.
I have posted several recipes of Sprouted Moong beans or Hesary Kalu. This is the variation I usually prepare on Thursday night for dinner.
- 3 cups bean spouts cooked for 1 whistle in the pressure cooker.
- 5 green chillies.
- 2 chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Potatoes, washed, peeled and cooked
- 6 curry leaves.
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 5 tsp finely chopped cilantro.
- 2 tsp Oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, pinch of hing, 1 tsp Haldi for seasoning.
- Salt to taste.
- 2 tsp lemon juice.
- Pressure cook for one whistle the sprouts.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves, red chilli powder and haldi.
- Add the tomatoes and allow it to cook.
- Add the boiled and cooked potatoes.
- Next, add the cooked sprouts.
- Mix well.
- Add salt, cilantro and lemon juice.
- Mix well and keep stirring for a few minutes.
- Serves for 4 people
Here is a link for other variations:
Rice noodles or Rice vermicelli are thin noodles that are made from rice. Their principal ingredients are rice flour and water. Rice vermicelli has a white color when cooked. Just like in India, it is available in many grocery stores in USA also.
You can find the recipe for Rice noodles or Rice vermicelli Uppittu in the below link.
In India, we call this dish Akki Shavige Uppittu. In B’lore we used to get the Dragon variety. I have brought these noodles (the thin variety) from Giant, Safeway, and Asian Stores like Han Ah Reum etc. The one I usually use for making this recipe looks like this:
Many of you might have been preparing this dish, I remembered one of my colleagues in Bangalore used to bring this dish for lunch.
- 1/2 Packet of Rice noodles.
- 5-6 curry leaves finely chopped(optional)
- 1 tsp channa dal(optional)
- 1 tsp urad dal(optional)
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/2 tsp haldi(optional)
- Cilantro finely chopped for garnishing
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Oil
- 3 tsp MTR Puliyogre Mix
- Salt to taste
- In a lager pot boil enough water. Once the water is boiling, turn off the gas, and add the noodles. Let it sit for 5-6 minutes, it will turn white. Drain the water completely.Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, when it starts spluttering all over your stove, add urad dal, chaana dal, turmeric or haldi, curry leaves, and ground nuts.
- Fry for a minute or two.
- Add the cooked noodles, salt.
- Make sure you keep stirring once you add the noodles.
- Now add the Puliyogre mix
- Make sure all the ingredients are mixed well, keep stirring on low fire. Adjust the seasoning.
- Finally add finely chopped cilantro
- This serves 4 people
This Potato Beans Pudi Palya – ಆಲೂಗಡ್ಡೆ ಹುರಳಿಕಾಯಿ ಪಲ್ಯ requires the use of ವಾಂಗಿಭಾತ್ ಪುಡಿ – ಪಲ್ಯದ ಪುಡಿ – Vangibath Powder. The recipe for ವಾಂಗಿಭಾತ್ ಪುಡಿ – ಪಲ್ಯದ ಪುಡಿ – Vangibath Powder can be found here:
- 3 washed chopped Potatoes
- 1 cup Beans – washed and chopped
- 3 tsp ವಾಂಗಿಭಾತ್ ಪುಡಿ – ಪಲ್ಯದ ಪುಡಿ – Vangibath Powder
- 1/2 tsp haldi or turmeric, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp jeera
- 2 tsp oil
- pinch of hing or Aasafotedia
- salt to taste
- In a microwave bowl, cook the potatoes and beans separately.
- Next, in a pan, add the oil. When the oil is hot enough add the mustard seeds and jeera. When it starts spluttering all over your stove, add the haldi, hing and , ವಾಂಗಿಭಾತ್ ಪುಡಿ – ಪಲ್ಯದ ಪುಡಿ – Vangibath Powder.
- Fry for a few minutes until all of them get mixed well.
- Add the cooked potatoes and beans.
- Drizzle water to make sure the vegetables and the ವಾಂಗಿಭಾತ್ ಪುಡಿ – ಪಲ್ಯದ ಪುಡಿ – Vangibath Powder get mixed well.
- Cover and cook on low flame for a few minutes
Serve with rice, chapathi or jolada roti. This quantity serves two people.
I have already given two variations I use to prepare . The first one is the traditional one, and the second my invention.
Can you guess how this 3 rd option if different from the first two? Did you read the title? Any guess?
You can see the two options posted earlier here in the link below:
Evaporated Milky Way ಶಾವಿಗೆ ಪಾಯಸ – Vermicelli Kheer:
- 1 cup ಶಾವಿಗೆ – Vermicelli
- 2 Cups 2% Milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup Sugar or to Taste
- Unflavored Oil – Or Ghee
- 3-4 Cloves, 10-15 sliced Almonds, raisins and crushed cardamom Powder.
- Fry the cloves, raisins, Almonds and ಶಾವಿಗೆ – Vermicelli in Oil/Ghee until it turns golden brown. I fry all of them together.
- Now, add 1/2 cup milk and let the ಶಾವಿಗೆ – Vermicelli cook until soft.
- When the ಶಾವಿಗೆ – Vermicelli is completely cooked, add sugar and the 1 can evaporated milk.
- Let it boil until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Finally, add crushed cardamom powder.
The evaporated milk gave the ಶಾವಿಗೆ ಪಾಯಸ – Vermicelli Kheer completely new taste the first time I prepared. Everyone in my family just loved it. I have been preparing it this Way for many months now. If you like experimenting with food, give it a try. It tastes heavenly.
P.S: This serves almost 20 people. I prepared ಶಾವಿಗೆ ಪಾಯಸ – Vermicelli Kheer this weekend for my Daughter Sneha’s graduation party. Everyone asked for the recipe and wanted to know the secret. And now the secret of Meera’s amazing delicious ಶಾವಿಗೆ ಪಾಯಸ – Vermicelli Kheer is out. :)