Ambode is one of the main side dish prepared during all festivals and for many happy occassions in any Madhwa families. Ambode is everybody’s favorite in my family, especially to my father and husband. I prepare these a lot and make many varieties. I have here 3 variations of the recipe, the basic version is prepared during festivals, since we don’t eat onion on those days.
- Chana dal – 2 cups, soaked for 4-5 hours and drained
- Green chillies – 6
- Coriander – 1/2 bunch
- Curry leaves – 8-10
- Red chillies – 6
- 1/2 fresh grated coconut
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric or Haldi
- Salt to taste
- Small piece of ginger
1. Grid together all the above ingredients in a food processor. Don’t add water at all.
2. Make small ball of this dough, faltten it in your plam and deep fry in medium heat.
3. On days other than religious days, you can also add 2 finely chopped onions to the dough and deep fry.
4. Another variation would be to add 1/2 bunch pudina while you are grinding the dough.
5. Yet another variety would be to add 1/2 bunch dill while you are grinding the dough.