Raita is a salty cooling side dish made out of Yogurt. It can be made in many ways. Raita should always be served chilled and any leftovers refrigerated. You can replace the carrots with cucumber or onions.
Carrots can be eaten raw or cooked. The cooking deprives them in nutrients. So, here comes an easy way for you to get all the health benefits I have listed at the end. Make this raita today and enjoy a healthy life.🙂
- 1/2 lb finely grated carrots
- 2 finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups low fat yogurt
- 2-3 tsp finely chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp finely ground pepper
- 1 red chilli, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, pinch of hing for seasoning(optional)
Finely grate the carrots in a box grater. Chop the tomatoes as well. Beat the yoghurt in a bowl, add the finely grated carrots and chopped tomatoes. Next add salt, and ground pepper.
In a small pan, heat 1 tsp oil, when it is hot, add the mustard seeds, hing, slit the red chillies and add them, and finally hing. When this seasoning is cold, add it to the yoghurt. Mix well.
P.S: Garnish with cilantro and a little bit of chilli powder just before serving. Raita has a cooling effect on the palate which makes it a good foil for spicy Indian dishes.
Health Benefits from Carrots:
- It is one of the richest food in beta-carotene.
- The carotene has an antioxidant property which may reduce the risk of certain cancer and aging disease.
- Carrots help you have a healthy skin and a good night vision.
- Carrots are our intestines’ friends.
- This vegetable may boost your immune system and lower the risk of lung cancer.
- Carrots may lower blood cholesterol levels and increase the lactation.
Health Benefits from Tomatoes:
- They are the leader where vitamin C is concerned.
- Vegetarians do not forget to add tomatoes in your salad. Its vitamin C will enhance the iron absorption.
- It’s perfect vegetable for a diet. Rich in water (more than 90 %), tomato is a diuretic. It will help you eliminate toxins while you are on a diet.
- Tomatoes contain lycopene, this compound has powerful anticancer properties.