Okra which has many names like lady’s finger, bendekayi, bhindi, also has many medicinal values as well. To name just a few, it is a good source of Vitamin C, Folic Acid, essential B vitamins as well as magnesium, manganese and potassium. Okra is also high in dietary fibre.
My mom prepared just 3 dishes with Okra, and I loved each one of them; Okra Huli, Gojju and the palya I have here. None of these dishes had onion. So, here comes the easiest of these 3 dishes.
- 2 lbs Okra
- 5 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp each channa dal, urad dal.
- Hing, haldi, mustrad seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Wash, and dry completely okra. Make sure it doesn’t have any water at all. I washed and wiped each one of them with a paper towel.
- Finely chop the okra as shown below.
- Next, in a pan add the oil. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, hing and haldi.
- When the mustard seeds start to pop, add the urad dal and channa dal.
- When they change color, add the finely chopped Okra and start frying.
- Keep the heat low, and fry for at least 9-10 minutes.
- Make sure the Okra is cooked and than add salt.
- Mix well and serve with Roti or Rice.
It takes around 15 minutes to prepare this dish, and serves 3 people. Enjoy this quick, easy and healthy dish with Okra.