I have been asked by many visitors here to provide the recipe for Kootu. Last week, I finally decided to prepare the same. When I opened my diary which is dated back from 1985, I saw two recipes for Kootu given to me by my Mysore Ajji. One was called “Sihi Kootu or Sweet Kootu” and the other ” Kharada Kootu or Spicy Kootu“. For a change I decided to prepare the Sweet one and so here comes the recipe for the same.
Ingredients to grind:
- Urad dal or Uddina Bele – 1 tablespoon
- Whole Black pepper or Menasu – 10
- Raw Rice – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
- Whole Red Chillies – 5 (use less than less spicy)
- Fresh or dry coconut – 5 tablespoons
P.S: 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 pound beans
- 2 big potatoes
- 2 coyotes
- 1 cup cooked toor dal
- 2 tea spoon jaggery, and 1/2 tsp turmeric.
- For seasoning : Oil, mustard seeds, hing, groundnuts.
- Fry all the ingredients mentioned in ingredients to grind. Once it is cooled, grind into a smooth paste.
- Cook toor dal in pressure cooker. We need 1 cup here.
- Cook all the vegetables also.
- In a big vessel, mix the cooked dal, vegetables. Let the heat be on medium.
- Add the ground paste.
- Add salt, turmeric and also jaggery and mix well.
- In a pan, heat oil. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, hing, groundnuts.
- Add this to the dal, and vegetable mixture.
- Let it boil for a few more minutes.
- Serve with rice or chapathi.
P.S: I will soon post the recipe for the Spicy Kootu also.