Sweet Pumpkin also called as Sihikumbalkayi in kannada is often prepared in Madhwa houses for many occasions. This palya was prepared in my Brother-in-laws house for Mahalaya Amavasya. It is very tasty, and very simple to make also. They use a lot of coconut in Bangalore, I would completely eliminate this quantity, and just use 2-3 spoons of coconut.
* 1 sweet pumpkin or sihikumbalkayi chopped evenly by removing the skin and the seeds
* 2-3 red chillies
* 1/2 fresh coconut finely grated
* 2-3 sprigs finely chopped cilantro
* for tampering: 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, pinch of hing, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp channa dal, 1 tsp urad dal, 2 tsp oil, salt to taste
* Wash, peel the skin, remove the seeds and chop pumpkin evenly.
* In a pan, add oil. When the oil is heated, add mustard seeds, hing, turmeric, channa dal, urad dal and red chillies.
* When the dal changes color next, add the pumpkin and a few spoons of water. Cover and let it cook.
* When the pumpkin is soft, add salt to taste. Mix well.
* Finally, add coconut, and chopped cilantro.
* Serve with rice or even with chapathi.
* Tastes very good with Rasam and Rice (Saaru Anna) :).