For Sankranthi festival, I had brought all the required ingredients from the store. This was mainly because I wanted to offer the same to God and didn’t want to use any leftovers. The yellu this year was just amazing. Take a look at this years picture below.
However, 1/2 of all the ingredients were still remaining. Of course, the only ingredient which I use very rarely is Yellu(Sesame seeds). And, I also had invited a few friends and my Sister’s family on Friday for Dinner. So, I decided to make for the first time ever, Yellu Burfi/Unde. It came out just amazing for the first try and everyone just loved the same as well. And it took just 20 minutes to make the same as well. Here is the recipe for the same:
- Sesame Seeds/Yellu – 1 cup
- Peanuts – 1 cup
- Dhalia – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 2cups
- Grated Coconut – 2 tsp
- 7-8 cardamom – ground finely
- 2 tsp Oil or Ghee(I never use Ghee)
- Fry the Sesame seeds for 4-5 minutes. Take out in a plate.
- In a pan, heat oil or ghee. Now add the jaggery. Add just enough water so that the Jaggery dissolves.
- Keep stirring for almost 9-10 minutes until the jaggery starts leaving the sides.
- Next, add peanuts, sesame seeds, dhalia and mix well. Let it continue on the stove top for another 3-4 minutes. Add in the cardamom as well.
- Turn off the stove. Grease a tray, and pour the mixture. Let it cool a little bit.
- Cut squares. ANd the left over, was formed to a round shape.
- Finally garnish with grated coconut.
I called it Yellu Burfi, and everyone called it Sesame Squares. And, that’s why I used the same as well.