In my previous post, I mentioned about a different recipe for coconut chutney. I am posting the same here. Normally, coconut chutney is prepared with coconut, dalia(hurikadale), green chillies, tamarind. However, the day I prepared Gundapongalu, dalia(hurikadale) was over, and there was no time to run to the Indian grocery store and buy the same. So, a simple twist and a couple more ingredients made all the difference.
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/4 cup groundnuts
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves
- 10 green chillies
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste, and 1/4 tsp sugar
- for seasoning – 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp urad dal. 1 red chilli, 4 curry leaves, pinch of hing
- Fry the groundnuts for 5-6 minutes on a pan. You can also microwave the same for 2-3 minutes. Make sure the groundnuts don’t burn. Let it cool
- Now, add all the ingredients from 1-8 and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat a small pan, add 1 tsp oil. Now add all the ingredients mentioned in 9 for seasoning.
- Add this seasoning to the chutney, and serve with Idli, Dosa, Poori, chapathi or GundaPongalu.
P.S: The difference with the normal coconut chutney I prepare is: dalia replaced with groundnuts, tamarind replaced with lemon juice, curry leaves added along with the chutney instead of just seasoning.
A couple more chutneys posted in this blog:
Another look at the delicious chutney with a twist: