This is one of my favorite and quick recipe. Many times, when in a rush to pack lunch, I prepare this is less than 20 minutes. Of course, this dish has no chopping of vegetables since the vegetables used here are frozen. Quick and easy.
- 1 packet of Vermicelli (Semolina)
- 1 cup of frozen vegetables( peas, carrots, beans, corn)
- 6-7 green chillies finely chopped
- 10 curry leaves
- 3 tsp fresh coconut
- 10 sprigs coriander leaves for garnishing( optional)
- 5-6 whole pepper
- For seasoning: 3 tsp oil, mustard seeds, turmeric, pinch of hing, urad dal, channa dal
- In a pan add 1 tsp oil and fry the vermicelli until golden brown
- Keep this aside
- Next, in a pan add 3 tsp oil. Add all the ingredients mentioned in 8.
- Once the dals are golden brown, add green chillies, curry leaves, and the mixed vegetables. Fry for a few minutes.
- Now add enough water to cover the vegetables and allow them to turn soft. They cook fast since they are frozen.
- Once the vegetables are soft, add salt, coconut, whole pepper and the fired vermicelli.
- There should be enough water to just soak the vermicelli.
- Now, cover and cook on low flame.
- Once the vermicelli is cooked, garnish with cilantro.
- If you wish, you can also add 1 or 2 tsp lemon juice. I don’t usually like so I don’t add.
- Serve hot or pack in the lunch boxes.
Recipe for Rice Vermicelli Upma can be found here: