Ms. Shubha Sridhara has sent the recipe for Pineapple Rice Kesaribath.
Thanks Ms. Shubha for taking the time to send the pictures and also the recipe. Attached below are the details Ms. Shubha gave me.
Sometime back we had invited our close friends for dinner. I was thinking of preparing shavige payasa or carrot halwa for sweet. But these were rejected as they were common dessert items. Finally my husband suggested that we prepare pineapple rice kesaribath! I had eaten rice kesaribath and pineapple kesaribath (made from rava), but this was pineapple rice kesaribath! I was a bit apprehensive, as this was my first time preparing a sweet dish. We went shopping the previous day& found a fairly ripe pineapple. As it was my husband’s idea, I asked if he could help me out. So he took a major role in preparing it. He claims, the most important part of the recipe is the very careful frying of cashews and raisins!!!! Needless to say that was his contribution! Please be sure not to over fry the cashews and raisins. Finally the kesaribath turned out to be very delicious and he convinced me to share the recipe with you.
Here goes the recipe.
1 cup pineapple -cut into small pieces
1 cup cooked rice- in pressure cooker (do not use the rice cooker).
1 cup sugar
Ghee – 7 to 8 tablespoons
Cashews, raisins -7 to 8 pieces
Almond slivers- 7 to 8 pieces (optional)
Cardamom powder -1/4th teaspoon
Kesari essence – 2 drops
If you are using kesari, soak the 2-3 strands of kesari in a tablespoon of warm milk.
1) Cook rice and keep aside in a cup. Remove lumps if any.
2) Take a pan and add the pineapple pieces. Add enough water to just immerse the pineapple and then cook it without the lid .This should take around 15-20 minutes.
3) Take a small pan, add ghee. First fry the cashews until they turn light brown. Then fry the raisins until they swell up nicely .Keep them aside.
4) When the pineapples are almost done, add sugar to it. Next add the kesari essence (or the kesari milk), cardamom powder to it. Continue to cook till sugar syrup is of 1 thread consistency.
5) When the syrup is done add rice and stir continuously for another 5 minutes .
6) When done garnish with cashews and raisins and transfer to a bowl.
This can be hot or cold.
Be sure to serve this dish with more ghee when hot.