Every year when we travel to India, we bring several packets of ಹುಳಿ ಪುಡಿ – Sambar Powder, ಸಾರಿನ ಪುಡಿ – Rasam Powder, ವಾಂಗಿಭಾತ್ ಪುಡಿ Vangibath Powder, Bisibele Bath powder and so on and so forth.
However, for almost 3 weeks now ಹುಳಿ ಪುಡಿ – Sambar Powder was over. And I didn’t want to buy it from the Indian grocery store. Unfortunately, I have misplaced my old recipe book which had my Grandmothers recipes for all these powders. So, long story short when I talked to my Mom I asked her the ingredients and prepared the ಹುಳಿ ಪುಡಿ – Sambar Powder this Tuesday. I was working from home, so you know I save close to 3-4 hours of drive time and so had some time to fry all the ingredients and grind it.
So, without any delay here comes the recipe for Authentic Madhwa ಹುಳಿ ಪುಡಿ – Sambar Powder recipe.
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 cup channa dal
- 2 cups coriander seeds
- 1 and 1/2 cups dry desiccated coconut
- 2 cups dry red chillies
- 2 inch long cinnamon sticks
- 10-12 pepper corns
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- Ina non stick pan, add a little bit of oil and fry urad dal and channa dal.
- remove on a plate.
- Next, fry the coriander seeds, with cinnamon, pepper corns and methi seeds.
- add this to the same plate.
- now fry the red chillies with a little bit of oil. This is the one which burns quite fast, so keep an eye.
- Finally, fry the dry coconut.
- Once all these ingredients are cool, grind them.
- Store in an air tight container.
P.S: My cup measure was very small. If you like spicy sambar, add another cup of red chillies. Many people also add asafotedia(hing) and curry leaves. I add these when I am preparing the Sambar.
Attached is the Radhish Samabar – ಮೂಲಂಗಿ ಹುಳಿ which I prepared with this new and fresh ಹುಳಿ ಪುಡಿ – Sambar Powder. Enjoy with some ಹಪ್ಪಳ – Papad and ಸಂಡಿಗೆ Sandige.