ಹೀರೆಕಾಯಿ ತ್ಹೊವೆ or ridegourd thove is one of my favorite dish. I make two dishes with ಹೀರೆಕಾಯಿ or ridegourd. One is this thove, and the other is bonda. Just love both these anytime.
ಹೀರೆಕಾಯಿ or ridegourd is available only in Indian grocery stores. So, once a month when we visit Patel brothers I buy ridegourd. It is not available in the smaller Indian stores which are a couple of miles from my home.
It is very easy making this dish. Here is the recipe for the same.
- Moong Dal – ಹೆಸರು ಬೆಲೆ 2 cup
- Ridegourd -ಹೀರೆಕಾಯಿ 2, chopped into cubes
- 1-2 tsp oil
- For Seasoning: mustard seeds, jeers, hing, curry leaves, red chillies ( 2) or green chillies
- 5 tsp fresh coconut
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp jaggery
- salt to taste
- Pressure cook moong dal with ridegourd. Two whistles should be enough.
- Once the pressure comes down, in a pan heat 1-2 tsp oil.
- Once the oil is heated up, add all the ingredients for seasoning.
- Add this to the moong dal, ridegourd.
- Next, add the coconut, salt and jaggery and let it boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Once everything is incorporated, turn off the heat.
- Add lemon and garnish with Coriander leaves.
- Serve with either rice or chapathi.
Note: Instead of Moong Dal, you can also use Toor Dal.