I blogged about thengolu way back in 2008, yes I saw the date it was 05/25/2008 that I had posted the recipe for Thengolu ತೆಂಗೊಳು.
I made some modification for this version, You may call it veganized and healthy version, since no butter is used and butter is replaced with its heart healthy Olive oil. I didn’t find any difference in taste, it still was crunchy, yummy and exactly like ತೆಂಗೊಳು.
So, much for the talk, here is the recipe:
- 3 cups rice flour or Akki hittu
- 1 and 1/2cup urad flour or uddina hittu
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1 and 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- pinch of asafotedia or hing
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp warm Oilve oil instead of butter
- Oil for frying
- In a big bowl mix all the ingredients from 1-7. The dough should be a little tough, not very hard. Just like chakali dough.
- Heat oil in your frying pan. Let the oil heat in medium heat.
- Put the dough in your chakli press, and press the thengolu directly in the pan in circles.
- I like it golden brown, but when you see that the thengolu looks crunchy, you can take it out of the oil and place in a paper towel. I just don’t like white and soggy thengolu.
- I should warn you that thengolu drinks oil like water. So, make small batches.
P.S: You can find the older version here.