Update – Yesterday, I made a slight change in the recipe for the 16 bean dosa. The dosa tasted as always, and was quite filling. The change I made was to replace white rice with Brown rice. Try it, this will be the most healthiest dosa you have ever eaten, and quite filling as well.
I am sure you all have used 16 beans which is available in any supermarket store here in the US. I brought the same from Giant stores. It has beans of all colors and shapes. Most recipes on the web are for Soups. I wanted to make Saagu, but ended up making Huli(Sambar), and Dosa with these 16 beans.
Ingredients of the 16 beans: It has 18, but the packet says “16 Bean Soup Mix”. No idea why? I will post a picture of these beans as well.
- Pinto Bean
- Blackeye Pea
- Navy Bean
- Large Lima Bean
- Small White Bean
- Red Kidney Bean
- Baby Lima Bean
- Great Northern Bean
- Speckled Lima Bean
- Green Baby Lima Bean
- Whole Green Pea
- Yellow Split Pea
- Pink Bean
- Cranberry Bean
- Black Turtle Bean
- Small Red Bean
- Green Split Pea
The dose tastes just like Adde. Very healthy and very delicious. Take a look at the following link to learn about the many health benefits of beans.
- 1 cup of 16 beans soaked(for 8 hours) and drained
- 2 cups White Rice or Brown Rice
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 cup channa dal
- 1 cup moong dal
- 1/2 tsp methi seeds
- 7-8 red chillies
- salt to taste
- Soak the 16 beans separately in a bowl for 8 hours. Overnight is also good.
- In another vessel, soak rice, urad dal, channa dal, moong dal and methi seeds. Also, for 8 hours.
- Next, grind all the ingredients along with red chilies.
- Mix, salt as well.
- This Dosa doesn’t have to ferment. You can make dosas the same day.
- Heat a Tava or griddle. Drizzale oil, and pour the batter. This souldn’t be as thin as other dosas.
- After one side is done, flip and let it cook on the other side as well.
- Serve with chutney or any other side item you prefer; like chatni pudi, or pickle.
- Refrigerate the leftover batter, and use.