Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon is known for its medicinal values. It is consumed mainly by people who have diabetes. I also have read it has Anticancer compounds. I had eaten bitter gourd many times, but in most cases the bitterness was completely removed.
However, when my Parents visited us, my Mom made BitterGourd Palya, and ever since I bring Bitter gourd from the Indian store and make this vegetable. No bitterness removed. All medicinal values kept intact.
- 3 BitterGourds
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric, pinch of Hing, 1/2 tsp urad dal, 1/2 tsp channa dal, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1 tsp Palya Powder
- 2 tsp Jaggery
- salt to taste
- Wash and deseed BitterGourd. Chop according to your preference.
- In order to use less oil, I microwave the vegetable for 4-5 minutes so it is cooked and already tender.
- In a vessel, heat oil, add all ingredients like mustard seeds, jeera, hing, urad dal, channa dal, haldi. Fry for a few minutes
- Next, add the cooked BitterGourd.
- Make sure it is tender, add Palya Powder, Jaggery, salt.
- If you want, you can add fresh coconut also.
- Serve with Chapathi ot Rice.
P.S: Don’t soak the bittergourd in any water or haldi water like they usually do. This will drain away all the medicinal values.