The last few days was very hectic with travel to Baltimore for work, the Diwali festival, and performing pooje. I do like to prepare elaborate meals, but due to time constraint, and having just 24 hours in a day, had to settle for a few items on all the 3 days. On Lakshmi Pooje day, I prepared vegetable bath, Gasgase Payasa, Heerekayi Bonda and raita.
- 1 cup gram flour or besan
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- A pinch of asafoetida or hing
- A pinch of baking soda (optional, I never use it)
- A pinch of Turmeric or haldi powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Ridge Gourd sliced into circles
- Chop the Ridge Gourd into circles.
- Put the gram four in a bowl. Mix the red chilli powder, turmeric, hing, and salt. If you are using baking soda, mix it as well.
- Slowly add water, mixing simultaneously with a spoon until you get a smooth batter of medium thickness.
- Put oil in a wok and set over medium heat.
- When the oil is medium hot, dip the Ridge Gourd in the batter and drop them in the oil, one by one.
- Fry both sides until the fritters turn crisp and golden.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove fritters and drain the excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Server hot.