Jolada Rotti or ಜೋಳದ ರೊಟ್ಟಿ or ಭಕ್ರಿ is my all time favorite bread. I have been making them since I was in 7-8th grade. I loved cooking so much that I went to my neighbors house and learnt it. I made it regularly and my parents, brother and sister loved eating my Jolada Rotti – ಜೋಳದ ರೊಟ್ಟಿ ಭಕ್ರಿ.
My father used to get it ground fresh so that it doesn’t loose its elasticity. Since Jowar has no gluten, it becomes hard to make these when the dough gets old.
I hadn’t tried Jolada Rotti – ಜೋಳದ ರೊಟ್ಟಿ ಭಕ್ರಿ for a long long time since the flour we get here in the United States is quite stale. However, since the last few months I have been making them regularly since it is the most healthiest, and easiest if you ask me.
So, here are the two methods I use to make these Rotis. Please note, it is not easy making these, it takes some experience to get it out of the board and onto the tava.
- Boil a cup of water for 4-5 minutes
- In a large bowl, add 2 cups of Jowar Flour. Add salt and mix well.
- Pour the hot water over the flour, and with a wooden spoon, keep mixing the flour until all the flour is incorporated.
- Leave for a few minutes just so you can handle the flour and start kneading the dough.
- Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes until it forms a soft dough.
- I have a wooden board on which I actually beat the dough with my palms as shown below:
- Next, slowly take it out of the board and put it on the hot Tava
- Now, with a cloth or paper towel apply water on top of the rotti.
- Once it is done on one side, flip it over, let it cook for a few minutes, and put it directly on the flame,
- Flip it and make sure the other side is also cooked.
- Serve hot with any vegetable you like.
- Boil water with salt.
- When the water is boiling, add the Jowar flour and turn off the heat.
- With a wooden spoon mix well and make sure the flour is incorporated with water.
- When it is cool to handle, knead it 3-4 minutes.
- Than follow steps as shown above.