It has been a long time since I used white rice for dosa. I brought a big bag of Brown rice from Costco, tried to replace it for lunch and dinner with white rice. I didn’t really like the texture of brown rice and it didn’t go very well with our Huli and Saaru. And we eat white rice just once or twice a week. So, completely threw away the idea of eating brown rice with lunch or dinner.
However, I used to mix brown rice with white rice for dosas. Since the past 2 months, I am just using brown rice, no white rice at all for dosa. It has no difference in taste. So, try this healthy brown rice dosa from now on.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3/4 cup urad dal
- 1/2 cup channa dal
- 3 tsp Methi seeds
- 1/4 cup Poha or Avalakki (optional, I didn’t add)
- 1/4 cup Sabudhani (optional, I didn’t add)
- Wash and Soak all the ingredients in water for 5-6 hours.
- I soak them before I go to work, around 7.00 AM in the morning.
- In the evening, grind the soaked ingredients in two batches with little water.
- Make sure the batter is very fine. Add salt to taste.
- I make dosas in the night without the batter being fermented. Make dosas as you do always. No change here
- Leave it outside so it ferments for making dosa the next day.
- Use very little oil, I usually use Olive Oil for making my Dosas.
- Enjoy with Chatni, or Saagu, or Potato Palya.
Link for other Dosas, Chutney and Saagu can be found here:
- 16 beans Dosa
- Healthy Red Dosa
- Raagi Rava Dosa
- Kadake Bele or Channa Dal Chutney
- Coconut Chutney
- Pudina or Mint Chutney