If you have been to any of the Rayara Matta’s and had lunch, you sure would have eaten ಅಕ್ಕಿ ಕಡಲೇಬೇಳೆ ಪಾಯಸ Akki-Kadalebele Payasa. This is one of the most common dishes made in many Madhwa houses for any festival. It tastes so good. Everyone in my family just loves this payasa. It is also quick and easy to make.
- 2 Cups Rice
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Channadal
- 3 Cups Jaggery or Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Raisins + Cashews
- 6 Cardamom finely crushed
- 5 tsp Dry Coconut
- 6-7 Strands Saffron
- 4 Tsp Ghee
- Milk 1/4 Cup (optional)
- Add 2 tsp Ghee in a heavy bottom pan. Fry the Rice and Channa dal. The rice and channadal changes color, that’s when you know it is done.
- In the same pan, add the remaining ghee and fry the cashews, raisins and coconut. Keep aside.
- Transfer the fried rice and channadal into a vessel, add 4 cups water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Once the pressure subsides, transfer the cooked rice and channadal into a pan.
- Add the Jaggery. Let it boil for quite sometime.
- Next, add the fried raisins, cashews and coconut.
- Put the Saffron strands in 3 tsp milk and keep it for a few minutes.
- Add this also to the Payasa.
- If you want to make it a little bit thin, add the rest of the milk. Also add crushed cardamom.
- Serve either cold or pipping hot.