I am really tired of eating the same food over and over again. Do you ever feel that way? If it is Thursday than it has to be one of the following:
- Sabhuddani Khichadi
So, today being Thursday and my Daughter home for the winter break, I decided to make ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ ಬಿಸಿಬೇಳೆ ಬಾತ್ – Avalakki Bisibele Bath. She and my Husband love Bisibele bath. I had eaten ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ ಬಿಸಿಬೇಳೆ ಬಾತ್ – Avalakki Bisibele Bath at several of my relatives house, knew how to prepare, but never had done before. Wonder why?
I took some help from the store brought frozen vegetables, so the time required to chop the vegetables was less. Just chopped tomato and capsicum. It tasted great, and a big pot was over in no time. Father and Daughter were very happy, and showered me with tons of praises. Haha. I need it once in a while, right?
Anyway, below is the ingredient list and method to prepare the same.
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal – ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ
- 1/2 cup Moong dal – ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ
- 2 cups Thick Avalakki or Poha – ದಪ್ಪ ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ
- 1 tsp Tamarind Paste – ಹುಣಿಸೇ ಹಣ್ಣು
- 2 tsp Tomato Paste (optional) I use it for the dark red color
- 2 cups chopped Vegetables – Beans, Corn, Peas, Tomato, Capsicum
- For Seasoning – Oil or Ghee, mustard seeds, Hing, Haldi, Curry leaves
- 3 tsp Bisibele Bath Powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the Thick Avalakki or Poha – ದಪ್ಪ ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ in water. This depends on how thick the Thick Avalakki or Poha – ದಪ್ಪ ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ is. I soaked the Thick Avalakki or Poha – ದಪ್ಪ ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ in water for 10 minutes and drained the water.
- In the pressure cooker cook Toor Dal – ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ, Moong dal – ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ , Tamarind Paste – ಹುಣಿಸೇ ಹಣ್ಣು , Tomato paste, and chopped vegetables except Tomato and Capsicum.
- Let the cooker whistle 3 times, switch off the stove and let the pressure cool down.
- In a thick bottomed pan, make the seasoning. Add tomatoes and capsicum and let it cook until soft.
- Next, add the cooked Dal ಬೇಳೆ, and Vegetables.
- Add salt, and Bisibele bath powder. Let it boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add the Thick Avalakki or Poha – ದಪ್ಪ ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add a few cups of water if the ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ ಬಿಸಿಬೇಳೆ ಬಾತ್ – Avalakki Bisibele Bath is too thick.
- Serve with mixture and raita of your choice.
P.S: You can use just one dal if you want, I usually mix both Toor Dal – ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ, Moong dal – ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ for a nice and creamy consistency. You can use just 1 cup of Toor Dal – ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ, or 1 cup of Moong dal – ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ.