My Daughter Sneha suffered from severe cold, cough and fever last week before she left to College. She had sore throat and kept asking me to make ಮೆಣಸು ಜೀರಿಗೆ ಸಾರು – Menasu Jeerige Saaru for three straight days. I made the Saaru with Toor dal one day and Moong dal the next two days. This really helps in soothing your throat and feels really good when you have fever as well. And as we all know, both ಮೆಣಸು Menasu and ಜೀರಿಗೆ Jeerige has medicinal values. You can eat this saaru with rice, or drink it like a soup. Simple, quick and easy.
- 3/4 cup Toor dal or Moong dal (ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ or ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ )
- 2 tsp each black pepper and Jeera (ಮೆಣಸು ಜೀರಿಗೆ )
- 1-2 green chillies (ಹಸಿ ಮೆಣಸಿನಕಾಯಿ ) – Optional
- 5-6 Curry Leaves (ಕರಬೇವು )
- Pinch of Turmeric (ಅರಿಶಿನ )
- For seasoning : Oil, mustard seeds, Hing (ಎಣ್ಣೆ , ಸಾಸಿವೆ , ಇಂಗು )
- Salt to taste (ರುಚಿಗೆ ತಕ್ಕಷ್ಟು ಉಪ್ಪು )
- 1 Tomato (Optional)
- Pressure cook Toor dal or Moong dal (ತೊಗರಿ ಬೇಳೆ or ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ ) with enough water.
- Fry black pepper and Jeera (ಮೆಣಸು ಜೀರಿಗೆ ) for 3-4 minutes. Make sure they don’t burn.
- Grind the fried black pepper and Jeera (ಮೆಣಸು ಜೀರಿಗೆ ).
- Take a thick bottomed pan, make the seasoning, add Turmeric (ಅರಿಶಿನ ), curry leaves, tomato and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground black pepper and Jeera (ಮೆಣಸು ಜೀರಿಗೆ ) powder.
- Add cooked dal and salt to taste.
- Allow it to boil.
- Serve with Rice.