Yesterday, I posted the recipe for ಮೆಂತ್ಯ ಸೊಪ್ಪಿನ ಬಾತ್ – Methi Vegetable Rice. I use this powder to prepare vegetable rice of all sorts, and always use it to make vegetables as well. So, here comes the recipe for making this powder at home.
- Urad Dal ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ- 1 cup
- Channa Dal ಕಡಲೆ ಬೇಳೆ – 1 cup
- Red Chillies ಕೆಂಪು ಮೆಣಸಿನ ಕಾಯಿ – 1 cup ( use less if you don’t like too much spicy). Optionally use, Byadagi and Regular in 1/2 portions to get the color and spiciness
- Coriander Seeds ಕೊತಂಬರಿ ಬೀಜ – 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon ಚಕ್ಕೆ ದಾಲ್ಚಿನಿ – 3 long sticks
- Cloves ಲವಂಗ 8-10
- Dry Coconut ವಣ ಕೊಬ್ಬರಿ 1-2 cups
- Methi Seeds Fenugreek ಮೆಂತ್ಯ – 2 tsp
- Fry both dals in a tsp of oil until they change color. Take out in a plate.
- In the same pan, add a little oil and Fry the red chillies. Take out in a plate.
- Next, add all other ingredients and fry them until a nice aroma comes.
- Grind into a coarse powder.
- This powder will remain for many many months.
Sambar or Huli Pudi recipe is posted here: