There are many ways you can make Pudina Pulav. I learnt this recipe from my co-sister Kavitha who lives in Dubai, UAE. Since than, I have modified this according to the items which are in my pantry and in the refrigerator. The only thing of course you need is Pudina. Sneha loves this rice, and I prepare it often in Summer since the Pudina/Mint grows like crazy here.
- 1 bunch Mint – washed and the stems removed.
- 1/2 bunch cilantro – washed and the stems removed.
- 6-8 green chillies(use according to your taste).
- 1 small Onion – roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 inch ginger roughly grated
- 3 tsp Oil, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp haldi for seasoning.
- 3 cups Basmati rice soaked for almost 2 hours in water
- 1/2 small box green peas
- Salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves, 2 cardamom
In your mixer grind to a fine paste mint, cilantro, onion, chillies and ginger.
In your pressure cooker, add oil. Now add cumin seeds, haldi, bay leaf, cloves and cardamon. Fry for a few minutes. Next add the ground mixture and boil it for a few minutes so that the dry smell of the Onion goes away.
Next, drain and add the rice. Also add peas. You can add any other vegetable you like also, like potatoes, capsicum, carrots, finely chopped french beans.
For 3 cups of rice, I used 5 cups of water. Add salt and stir. Close the pressure cooker, and let it for 2 whistles.
You can also fry cashew nuts in ghee or oil and add to the pulav just before you serve.
It’s easy, its fast and most of all its delicious.
Serve with Raita.