Having time to cook is a great luxury when you have a full time job, and travel a lot. I enjoy cooking very much. However, time is a big constraint. So, I always try to manage to make some changes to the elaborate cooking we have in our Indian foods. Some, quick and easy recipes always helps.
So, if you want to prepare authentic madhwa ಬೆಂಡೇಕಾಯಿ ಗೊಜ್ಜು – Bendekaayi Gojju, it is quite time consuming. Especially, the frying and grinding. So, I came up with a quick recipe which actually tasted exactly like the authentic version.
Authentic Gojju is posted here:
- 1 frozen box Lady’s Finger
- Tamarind paste one big spoon
- Tomato Paste one big spoon
- 3 tsp Huli or Sambar Powder
- 6 tsp Jaggery
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- pinch of hing
- 1 /2 tsp haldi
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2 tsp Maida
- Thaw the Lady’s finger and microwave until soft.
- Next, in a thick pan, add oil. When it is hot, add mustard seeds, methi seeds, hing, curry leaves, and haldi. If using fresh Lady’s finger fry them now until soft.
- Add the cooked frozen Lady’s finger
- In a bowl, mix the tamarind, tomato paste along with maida. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Add this paste to the pan.
- Also add the Huli Powder, jaggery, salt.
- Let it boil for 7-8 minutes.
- The gojju becomes quite thick at this point.
- Serve with Rice and Rasam.