Chayote Palya – ಸೀಮೆ ಬದನೇಕಾಯಿ ಪಲ್ಯ is often prepared in Madhwa houses for many occasions. This palya was prepared quite often at my house. It is very tasty, and very simple to make also. They use a lot of coconut in Bangalore, I would completely eliminate this quantity, and just use 2-3 spoons of coconut.
* 2-3 Chayote or ಸೀಮೆ ಬದನೇಕಾಯಿ chopped evenly by removing the seeds
* 2-3 red chillies
* 1/2 fresh coconut finely grated
* 2-3 sprigs finely chopped cilantro
* for tampering: 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, pinch of hing, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp channa dal, 1 tsp urad dal, 2 tsp oil, salt to taste
* Wash, peel the skin, remove the seeds and chop chayote ಸೀಮೆ ಬದನೇಕಾಯಿ evenly.
* In a pan, add oil. When the oil is heated, add mustard seeds, hing, turmeric, channa dal, urad dal and red chillies.
* When the dal changes color next, add the ಸೀಮೆ ಬದನೇಕಾಯಿ and a few spoons of water. Cover and let it cook.
* When the vegetable is soft, add salt to taste. Mix well.
* Finally, add coconut, and chopped cilantro.
* Serve with rice or even with chapathi.
* Tastes very good with Rasam and Rice (Saaru Anna)🙂.