This weekend, while I was preparing Vegetable Puff with the left over pastry sheet, my Husband decided to prepare Peanut Chutney Powder – ಶೇಂಗಾ ಕಡಲೆಬೀಜ ಚಟ್ನಿ ಪುಡಿ. He had some great ideas, and I had to finally agree the Peanut Chutney Powder – ಶೇಂಗಾ ಕಡಲೆಬೀಜ ಚಟ್ನಿ ಪುಡಿ tasted yummy.
This is one of the Chutney Powder I had eaten quite a lot while growing up in Bijapur. They used garlic as well. So, if you wish you can fry the garlic and grind it with other ingredients.
The recipe is quite simple, requires quite a few ingredients, and can be done in minutes.
- 3 cups peanuts or ಶೇಂಗಾ or ಕಡಲೆಬೀಜ- 1 cup can be just any measure, not necessarily 1 cup
- 1 cup Channa dal – ಕಡಲೆ ಬೇಳೆ
- 1 cup dried coconut – ಕೊಬ್ಬರಿ
- 8 dried red chillies – ಕೆಂಪು ಮೆಣಸಿನಕಾಯಿ
- 1 small ball tamarind – ಹುಣಿಸೆ ಹಣ್ಣು
- For Seasoning : 2 tsp oil, mustard seeds, jeera and hing
- Salt to Taste
- Add the peanuts, channa dal, coconut and red chilies in a pan and just keep them in the oven for 10-15 minutes. The oven was heated at 300 degrees.
- If you don’t have an oven, dry roast each one of them separately.
- When it is cool, grind all the ingredients with tamarind.
- Add salt.
- Add a tsp of oil, and make the seasoning with mustard seeds, jeera and hing.
- Mix all of them, and store in a container.