One of my favorite dishes is ಉದ್ದಿನ ವಡೆ – Uddina Vada. After I got married, my Mom actually stopped preparing ಉದ್ದಿನ ವಡೆ – Uddina Vada since she missed me so badly. I can understand her feelings now that my Daughter is at a different place. And my Daughter loves the combo of Idli, Vada, Sambar, Chatni. So, this preparation was during her spring break visit. It is circle of life, right?
I just couldn’t believe that I hadn’t posted my favorite recipe in my favorite blog. Especially last year, I prepared ಉದ್ದಿನ ವಡೆ – Uddina Vada every single month. This is a must preparation for monthly masikas and pakshas in our Madhwa community. In traditional families, ಉದ್ದಿನ ವಡೆ – Uddina Vada is not prepared on any other occasion. Anyway, attached below is the recipe for the most loved dish by Meera.🙂
- 2 cups Urad Dal – ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ
- 10-12 whole black pepper – ಮೆಣಸು
- 2 sprigs curry leaves – ಕರಬೇವು
- 1 inch Ginger – ಶುಂಟಿ
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Frying
- Wash and Soak Urad Dal – ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ in cold water for at least 3-4 hours.
- Grind Urad Dal – ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ with whole black pepper – ಮೆಣಸು, curry leaves – ಕರಬೇವು and Ginger – ಶುಂಟಿ.
- Also, add salt.
- Add as mush less water as possible.
- If your Mixer doesn’t work with water, make sure you add enough water to get the Mixer just running.
- If the ground dal is a bit watery, add just enough rice flour or maida to make it hold the shape.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Take a heap full of dal, make a hole in the center, and slowly dip them in the hot oil.
- Fry them on medium heat, this makes it cripsy on the outside and completely cooked on the inside.
- Serve with Idli, Sambar and Chutney.