Snake Gourd Palya – ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ ಪಲ್ಯ is my Husbands favorite. Anytime, we go to the Indian store, he buys Snake Gourd – ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ without fail. This time I made Snake Gourd Palya – ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ ಪಲ್ಯ and hasi majjige huli. The recipe for hasi majjige huli is coming soon.
* 1 long Snake Gourd – ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ chopped evenly by removing the seeds
* 2-3 red chillies
* 1/2 fresh coconut finely grated
* 2-3 sprigs finely chopped cilantro – optional
* for tampering: 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, pinch of hing, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp channa dal, 1 tsp urad dal, 2 tsp oil, salt to taste
* Wash, peel the skin, remove the seeds and chop Snake Gourd – ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ evenly.
* In a pan, add oil. When the oil is heated, add mustard seeds, hing, turmeric, channa dal, urad dal and red chillies.
* When the dal changes color next, add the Snake Gourd – ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ and a few spoons of water. Cover and let it cook. I cooked in the microwave until the Snake Gourd – ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ were very soft and tender.
* When the vegetable is soft, add salt to taste. Mix well.
* Finally, add coconut, and chopped cilantro.
* Serve with rice or even with chapathi.
* Tastes very good with Rasam and Rice (Saaru Anna)🙂.