Last week when we brought ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ or Snake Gourd, I made two dishes. One was ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ or Snake Gourd palya, which was posted yesterday. The other was ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ or Snake Gourd ಹಸಿ ಮಜ್ಜಿಗೆ ಹುಳಿ .
The ಹಸಿ ಮಜ್ಜಿಗೆ ಹುಳಿ can be prepared with many other vegetables, you just need to know the procedure. Vegetables like Cucumber, Squash, Seeme Badanekayi etc etc can be used.
- 1 ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ or Snake Gourd washed and chopped into equal size
- 1 cup Yogurt – ಮೊಸರು
- 3-4 green chillies ( Mine was quite spicy, use less if you don’t eat that spicy)
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 3-4 tsp fresh coconut
- 3-4 tsp ಪುಟಾಣಿ ಹುರಿಗಡಲೆ
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- For seasoning – Oil, Mustard seeds, jeera, hing, turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Cook ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ or Snake Gourd either on your stove top or in a microwave
- Grind together into a smooth paste – Coconut, green chillies, Jeera, Hing, and ಪುಟಾಣಿ ಹುರಿಗಡಲೆ
- Beat the yogurt so it is smooth
- Mix the ground mixture, yogurt, cooked ಪಡುವಲಕಾಯಿ or Snake Gourd.
- Add salt to taste.
- Make the seasoning and add to the mixture.
- Do not heat, this is ಹಸಿ ಮಜ್ಜಿಗೆ ಹುಳಿ – Hasi Majjige Huli
- Serve with Rice.