It is very common every 15 days during Dwadashi to prepare ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ ಪಾಯಸ – Moong Dal Payasa. The main reason being ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ – Moong Dal has a cooling effect, and you need that after fasting on Ekadashi day.
I was surprised to see that I hadn’t posted one of the most commonly prepared dishes. Anyway, since Sunday was Dwadashi, I prepared the traditional food, ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ ಪಾಯಸ – Moong Dal Payasa and ಸೊಪ್ಪಿನ ಹುಳಿ – Leafy Green Sambar, again one of the most commonly prepared Sambar during Dwadashi.
ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ ಪಾಯಸ – Moong Dal Payasa most simplest sweet dish you could ever ask for.
- 1 cup ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ – Moong Dal
- 1 cup ಬೆಲ್ಲ – Jaggery
- 4-5 tsp Fresh or Dry Coconut
- Nuts of your choice
- Raisins, and Cardamom
- Oil or Ghee
- 1/2 cup Milk (optional)
- 4-5 Cloves (optional)
- Fry the ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ – Moong Dal in oil or ghee.
- I also fry the Raisins, cloves and nuts along with the ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ – Moong Dal.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cup water and pressure cool for 2 whistles.
- The ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ – Moong Dal should still hold its shape and not be completely mushy.
- Once the pressure cools down, add Jaggery, coconut. And add milk if you are using it.
- Let it boil for a few minutes.
- Finally, add cardamom.
- Serve hot or cold.