HAPPU UGADI – And May this Vijaya Nama Samvatsara bring Vijaya (Success) in all your endeavors.
When I called home (India) during the Ugadi festival, every home had prepared Raw Mango Chitranna. Mom, and a few of my co-sisters mentioned they had prepared Raw Mango Chitranna. I had my mouth watering, and my Husband promised to buy Raw Mangoes so I could prepare this later some time and post it here.
Since it was a week day, it was working day and no holiday. So, after work I decided to make something special and decided to make Edamame-Capsicum Rice. It just nothing new, just replace Sweet Peas with Edamame. If you don’t get Edamame, you can use Peas also.
And you sure have read the post on healthy living on Edamame, right?
The twist is the color, I wanted to have just two colors, white and green. So, I didn’t use Turmeric-Haldi and Channa Dal. I used whole black pepper corns just for a change. This gave a nice bite as well.
Try this wonderful rice recipe, you sure will enjoy each and every white and green bite.
- 2 cups rice
- 1 capsicum chopped length wise
- 1/2 cup Edamame
- 1 Potato finely chopped
- 4 green chillies slit length wise
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3-4 springs coriander leaves
- 1 inch ginger finely grated
- 5-6 tsp freshly grated coconut
- 3 tsp oil, mustard seeds, urad dal. pinch of hing,5-6 whole black pepper
- Salt to taste, lemon juice to taste.
- Cook the rice in your rice cooker or pressure cooker. Spread it on a plate and separate the grains.
- In a pan, heat oil. Than add mustard seeds, urad dal, hing, and black pepper corns. Let the dal roast for a minute.
- Next, add green chillies, curry leaves and fry for a few minutes.
- Microwave your capsicum, edamame and potatoes for 2 minutes. Let it still have a little bit of crunch in it.
- Add this along with the ginger to the pan and fry for a few more minutes.
- Now add the rice and gently mix all the ingredients. Add salt as well.
- Next, add the coconut, and coriander leaves. Let the heat be very low.
- Turn off the gas and add lemon juice and serve.
The dinner was quite simple as you see above + Shavige Payasa. You can find recipes for all of these items in the Food Section.