Two ways of making the ಮಾವಿನಕಾಯಿ ಚಿತ್ರಾನ್ನ – Mavinakayi Chitranna. This is the first method. Quite easy, very similar to other rice dishes. I didn’t add ginger, peanuts. Ginger overpowers the taste, and I wanted the taste of raw mango here. You can add it if you wish. Same with peanuts.
- Cooked rice
- 1/2 raw grated mango
- 4 green chillies slit length wise
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3-4 springs coriander leaves
- 5-6 tsp freshly grated coconut
- 3 tsp oil, mustard seeds, jeera, urad dal, channa dal, haldi, red chillies, pinch of hing,
- Salt to taste.
- Cook the rice in your rice cooker or pressure cooker. Spread it on a plate and separate the grains.
- In a pan, heat oil. Than add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, hing and haldi. Let the dals roast for a minute.
- Next, add green chillies, curry leaves and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the finely grated raw mango as shown below.
- Fry for a few more minutes. At this point, I also added the fresh grated coconut.
- Now add the rice and gently mix all the ingredients. Add salt as well.
- Next, add coriander leaves. Let the heat be very low.
- Turn off the gas and serve.