Last week, we had Sneha’s friend visit us for Dinner. She is allergic to Gluten so I had to prepare food which was free of Gluten. I went online and found out that anyone allergic to Gluten is not supposed to eat any product which contains Wheat, barley, and rye. Sneha wanted me to make my signature dish Vegetable Bath which has been posted several times. However, I was not sure how an American would like to eat all that spices in our vegetable bath. So, I decided to make a special dish just for the girls. It was just so delicious and was over in no time. Simple, quick and easy Vegetable Pulav.
- 2 and 1/2 cups basmati rice cooked.
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 small cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 inch grated ginger
- Spices such as Jeera, 4 cloves, 4 cardamom, 1 large bay leaf, 1 small cinnamon stick, crushed pepper
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp olive oil
- Wash, and cook the Basmati rice. Make sure the grains are seperate
- In a large pan, heat Olive oil or any oil you are using.
- Add all the spices. Let it fry for a few minutes
- Next, add finely chopped onion, garlic and grated ginger
- Cook the onions until they are soft.
- Add peas, and beans. I microwaved both of these vegetables. You can also use vegetable such as carrot, capsicum, potato and so on.
- When all the vegetables are soft, add the garam masala, salt
- Mix the rice softly.
- Serve with choice of Raita.
The girls enjoyed the dish very much. Both of them wanted me to post the dish on my blog so they could revisit it at a later time, and prepare when in College.
P.S: Onion and garlic are optional. However, all other spices should be used to get that fragrant rice aroma. Also a very good rice dish for lunch boxes.