The only time I buy butter at my place is during Krishna Janmasthami for Lord Krishna. This is the only time I prepare ghee. I had several requests from many who visit the blog asking how to make ghee here in the US. It is quite easy.
1. Buy unsalted butter from your wholesale dealer like Costco.
2. Let the butter sit out of the refrigerator for 3-4 hours until it is soft.
3. Put the butter bars in a thick solid steel container.
4. Turn on the gas stove, and let the butter melt slowly on low heat.
5. Once all the butter is melted, you will see froth forming as shown below.
6. The butter makes sizzling noise as it keeps boiling.
7. Let it boil in low heat until the color changes to brown and the sizzling noise goes away.
8. Leave it to cool and strain the ghee when it is a little bit cool. I didn’t have enough time to strain as I was preparing for all other items, so took a picture as is.
9. The ghee can be used for cooking, lighting lamp, and can be stored for many many months.
10. The taste of home made ghee is just unbelievable.
11. However, eat at your own risk of increasing your cholesterol. That’s why I bring Butter/Ghee just once a year.