Many of you have asked several times about cleaning silver. I have lot of silver items which were turning dark in color. I used to wash them regularly, however never tried to make them shine. 🙂
Last week after Ganesha Festival, I kept complaining to my Husband that silver was turning dark and that I need to carry all of them to Bangalore next month to clean them. He had a hearty laugh, and said he would clean each and every items for me. And sure enough, he did clean all of them one after another. As he was cleaning the last batch, I ran and took some pictures and asked him to explain the procedure. So, below is a step by step instruction to get the most shine from your silver items.
Items required for cleaning silver:
- Aluminum Foil
- Boiling Water
- Baking Soda or Dishwasher Liquid
- Soft Brush or the one we have used ( I have a separate one for all Gods items)
- A huge pan or vessel to soak the silver items
- Take a huge pan or vessel which can be used to immerse the silver items.
- Line your huge pan or vessel with aluminum foil
- Place the silver item which is to be cleaned.
- Pour in boiling water
- Add a cup of baking soda or dishwasher liquid.
- Add a spoon of salt.
- Let the silver items be in this pan for a few minutes.
- Remove gently, and scrub the items.
- Sparkling silver items are ready to be used.