One of the best and most delicious ಅಕ್ಕಿತರಿ ಉಪ್ಪಿಟ್ಟು – RiceRava Upma I have eaten is by my Mysore Ajji. Ajji used to make this quite often when we visited her. She used several vegetables like potatoes, capsicum, peas and avarekalu. Ajji had some magic in her hands, which made this so very delicious. As always, this ಅಕ್ಕಿತರಿ ಉಪ್ಪಿಟ್ಟು – RiceRava Upma never should be prepared with Onion. The strong smell of onion over powers the taste of ಅಕ್ಕಿತರಿ ಉಪ್ಪಿಟ್ಟು – RiceRava Upma.
Many ways of preparing the ಅಕ್ಕಿತರಿ – RiceRava. You need to fry the rice until it is warm to the touch. Next, when it is cooled down, grind to a coarse consistency in your dry grinder. Strain the rice so the fine powder is eliminated. Use this powder for making Akki Rotti. And the thick ಅಕ್ಕಿತರಿ – RiceRava for making this ಅಕ್ಕಿತರಿ ಉಪ್ಪಿಟ್ಟು – RiceRava Upma.
- 1 Cup ಅಕ್ಕಿತರಿ – RiceRava
- 2 Cup Vegetables like Potatoes, Capsicum, Peas, Avarekalu or Edamame. ( I used capsicum and Edamame)
- 1 spring coriander leaves
- 1 spring curry leaves
- Green chillies and Red chillies to taste
- For seasoning – Oil, mustard seeds, Jeera, Channa dal, urad dal, and Hing ( No Turmeric)
- 4-5 tsp freshly grated coconut
- If you have just prepared the ಅಕ್ಕಿತರಿ – RiceRava no need to fry it again. If not, take a thick bottom pan and fry the ಅಕ್ಕಿತರಿ – RiceRava until it is warm. Just like we do for plain upma.
- Take this out on a plate.
- In the same pan, add oil and finish the seasoning. Add curry leaves, green chillies and red chillies.
- Next, add all vegetables. Add 3 cups water and let it come to a boil so the vegetables cook properly.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add salt, ಅಕ್ಕಿತರಿ – RiceRava and mix properly.
- Cover the pan, and reduce the heat to medium.
- Let the ಅಕ್ಕಿತರಿ – RiceRava cook. When done, add grated coconut and freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- If you wish, you can add lemon.
- Serve hot.