I was surprised to see that I hadn’t posted my most favorite dish ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ ಮಜ್ಜಿಗೆ ಹುಳಿ – Winter Melon Majjige Huli. Yesterday, when we went to H-Mart we brought ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ Winter Melon, ಸಿಹಿ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ Sweet pumpkin and many more Indian vegetables. My Husband wanted to eat ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ ಮಜ್ಜಿಗೆ ಹುಳಿ – Winter Melon Majjige Huli, so here comes the recipe for the same.
- 1/2 ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ or Winter Melon washed, peeled and chopped into equal size
- 1 cup Yogurt – ಮೊಸರು
- 8-10 green chillies ( Mine was quite spicy, use less if you don’t eat that spicy)
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 tsp fresh coconut or dry coconut
- 4 tsp Channa dal soaked in water
- 1 inch fresh Ginger coriander leaves
- 5-6 springs fresh
- For seasoning – Oil, Mustard seeds, jeera, hing, turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Cook ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ or Winter Melon either on your stove top or in a microwave
- Grind together into a smooth paste – Coconut, green chillies, Jeera, corainder seeds, Channa dal, coriander leaves, and ginger
- Beat the yogurt so it is smooth
- Make the seasoning and now add ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ or Winter Melon.
- When the ಬೂದ ಕುಂಬಳಕಾಯಿ or Winter Melon is cooked, add the ground mixture
- Let it boil for 3-4 minutes. Now add beaten yogurt and salt to taste
- Serve with Rice.