An email received by my Husband for the upcoming Eclipse from Sri Krishna Vrundavana Toronto. All credit goes to the temple, I am just quoting the email as is.
The most auspicious ‘ ChandraGrahana’ ( Lunar Eclipse) will take place on this Monday, April 14th at mid-night.
Lunar eclipse on midnight of Monday, April 14th (AM of April 15th)
|Sparsha ( Begins)||Madhya ( Greatest)||Moksha (Ends)|
|01:58 AM||03:45 AM||05:33 AM|
|12:58 AM||03:45 AM||04:33 AM|
|10:58 PM||12:45 AM||02:33 AM|
|10:58 PM||12:45 AM||02:33 AM|
|Begins at moon Rise – 6:28 PM||08:33 PM|
Not visible in India, UK, Europe, Gulf Counties …………..
- This Lunar eclipse is called as most auspicious (ChudamaniGrahana) as it’s occurs on a Monday.
- The eclipse time is called as ‘ Punya Kala’ ( most sacred time)
What to do (As per our ancient scriptures)
- Snaana (Bath) is suggested for all, after the beginning (01:58am EST) and after the end (05:33am EST) of this Chandra GrahaNa.
- Fasting is insisted by our scriptures for ‘this eclipse’ starting from 8:00pmEST.
- Small kids, sick and very seniors – from 10:30pm
- Fasting has to be continued until the completion of morning prayers on April 15th
- Any ‘daana’ or ‘Punya – Karma’ done with full faith in this period yields immense ‘Phala’
- We may keep the ‘Daana’ article/ money in front of God at our home and donate the same to a priest or Temple later at our convenience.
- ‘Eclipse time’ is considered as most ‘fruitful’ time for any Japa, Parayana and Tarpana.
- We have to wash the clothes, etc touched/used through the ellipse. (wash- at the end of this eclipse but before the Snaana )
- Due to this eclipse, Monday April 14th is not considered as a good day to have any event.
- PoornimaSathyanarayana has to be performed on previous day or next day.
- Solar Yugadi ( Vishu – Tulu, and Malayalam) has to be observed on Tuesday, April 15th
Not to do
- Do not keep any food (except milk / yogurt) through the ellipse.
- Do not sleep, eat, drink, and use restrooms during the eclipse. (Excluding babies, very sick…..)
GrahaNaDosha (astrological effect of the eclipse)
- This eclipse will take place in ‘ChitraNakshatra’ – ‘KanyaRashi’
- It will also affect following Rashi-s :Simha, Kanya, Dhanu and Mesha.
- People who born in above rashi-s and lives in eclipse visible area are required to do remedies.
- GrahanaDosha is just indicating the ‘karma’ of our previous lives and insisting us to do more Punya to avoid its negative effect. So no fear.
- Let’s take this opportunity to do more Sat-karma , please Almighty and be happy J
DoshaParihaara (Remedies) (During or after (any day) the Grahana)
- Chanting Vishnu SahasraNama , Rudra and Vayustuti
- Chanting the Prayers on Narasimha, Shiva, Ganesha and Navagraha
- Daana of Rice or Sesame oil or Horse gram to a Vedic priest
- Rudraabhisheka , Navagraha / MrutyunjayaHoma
- Shiva Panchakshari / Narasimha Mantra Japa
For more details please contact temple via email or the phone numbers listed below.
In the service of the Lord and His Holiness,
Shankar Narayana Bhat(Priest) 781 Warden avenue, Scarborough, ON, M1L 4C2 Canada Phone:(905) 487-6137 / (416) 548-4138 Cell: (289) 500-7292 Web: http://www.srikrishnabrundavana.org/ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org