Rice noodles or Rice vermicelli are thin noodles that are made from rice. Their principal ingredients are rice flour and water. Rice vermicelli has a white color when cooked. Just like in India, it is available in many grocery stores in USA also.
You can find the recipe for Rice noodles or Rice vermicelli Uppittu in the below link.
In India, we call this dish Akki Shavige Uppittu. In B’lore we used to get the Dragon variety. I have brought these noodles (the thin variety) from Giant, Safeway, and Asian Stores like Han Ah Reum etc. The one I usually use for making this recipe looks like this:
Many of you might have been preparing this dish, I remembered one of my colleagues in Bangalore used to bring this dish for lunch.
- 1/2 Packet of Rice noodles.
- 5-6 curry leaves finely chopped(optional)
- 1 tsp channa dal(optional)
- 1 tsp urad dal(optional)
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/2 tsp haldi(optional)
- Cilantro finely chopped for garnishing
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Oil
- 3 tsp MTR Puliyogre Mix
- Salt to taste
- In a lager pot boil enough water. Once the water is boiling, turn off the gas, and add the noodles. Let it sit for 5-6 minutes, it will turn white. Drain the water completely.Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, when it starts spluttering all over your stove, add urad dal, chaana dal, turmeric or haldi, curry leaves, and ground nuts.
- Fry for a minute or two.
- Add the cooked noodles, salt.
- Make sure you keep stirring once you add the noodles.
- Now add the Puliyogre mix
- Make sure all the ingredients are mixed well, keep stirring on low fire. Adjust the seasoning.
- Finally add finely chopped cilantro
- This serves 4 people