Snake Gourd Kootu – Paduvala Kayi Kootu is a dish which my Husband loves dearly. Last week when we went to H-Mart found Snake Gourd, and both kinds of Pumpkin. He wanted me to make this Kootu, so here is the recipe.
I used the same procedure as posted in Sweet or Sihi Kootu. Used Moong dal instead of Toor dal.
The very first time I fried all the ingredients I received a phone call, lowered the heat and went to take the call. By the time I came back the ingredients where charred black. Had to redo the whole thing again. So, while frying the ingredients, stay close to the Gas Stove. 🙂
Ingredients to grind:
- Urad dal or Uddina Bele – 1 tablespoon
- Whole Black pepper or Menasu – 10
- Raw Rice – 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
- Whole Red Chillies – 5 (use less than less spicy)
- Fresh or dry coconut – 5 tablespoons
P.S: 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
- 1 big Snake Gourd washed and chopped
- 1 cup cooked Moong dal or Hesaru Bele
- For seasoning : Oil, mustard seeds, hing, turmeric.
- Fry all the ingredients mentioned in ingredients to grind. Once it is cooled, grind into a smooth paste.
- Cook moong dal in pressure cooker along with Snake Gourd.
- In a big vessel, mix the cooked dal, add the ground paste.
- Add salt.
- In a pan, heat oil. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, hing, turmeric.
- Add this to the dal, and vegetable mixture.
- Let it boil for a few more minutes.
- Serve with rice or chapathi.
- I had made Sweet Pumpkin Palya and fried a few Happala and Sandige.