The most healthy and nutritious sambar you can ever make. This goes well with Rice, chapathi and Roti. This sambar is so filling, tasty and very healthy. I usually never make Sambar with just the powder, but this one was very tasty.
Wait until you see the next post where I made an amazing roti out of something left over and used this sambar for accompaniment.
Ingredients for the masala:
Ingredients for the huli:
- 1 cup toor dal
- 2 big bunches of Spinach, washed and chopped finely ( I used frozen Spinach)
- 1 cup white beans, washed and cooked ( I used canned)
- 1 cup Garbanzo(chick Pea) beans, washed and cooked ( I used canned)
- 3-4 tsp huli pudi
- 3 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- Salt to taste
- For seasoning – Oil, Mustard seeds, Jeera, Haldi, Hing, curry leaves, 1 red chilli
- Pressure cook toor dal along with spinach and both beans.
- I used frozen spinach and canned beans, so added it to cooked toor dal later.
- In a big vessel, add 3 tsp oil. Add mustard seeds, jeera, hing, curry leaves, and haldi.
- Add tomato paste and tamrind paste.
- Now add the Huli powder.
- When it starts boiling, add the cooked toor dal, spinach and beans. Add salt to taste.
Serve with Rice or chapathi.
You can find Sambar Powder recipe here: