Today being Dwadashi and a holiday due to President’s day, and to top that a very cold windy and snowy day, my Husband asked me to make ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ ಪಾಯಸ – Moong Dal Payasa.
There was literally no milk at home, and I didn’t want to drive to the store. Opened the pantry and saw Coconut milk. So, replaced milk with coconut milk, added almost 1/2 cup chopped nuts. The ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ ಪಾಯಸ – Moong Dal Payasa was out of this world.
ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ ಪಾಯಸ – Moong Dal Payasa with coconut milk recipe below.
- 1 cup ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ – Moong Dal
- 1 and 1/2 cup ಬೆಲ್ಲ – Jaggery
- 4-5 tsp Fresh or Dry Coconut
- 1/ 2 cup Nuts of your choice
- Raisins, and Cardamom
- Oil or Ghee
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 4-5 Cloves (optional)
- Fry the ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ – Moong Dal in oil or ghee.
- I also fried the Raisins, cloves along with the ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ – Moong Dal.
- Add enough water and pressure cool for 2 whistles.
- The ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ – Moong Dal should still hold its shape and not be completely mushy.
- Once the pressure cools down, add Jaggery, coconut milk.
- Let it boil for a few minutes.
- Fry chopped nuts and add to the ಹೆಸರು ಬೇಳೆ ಪಾಯಸ – Moong Dal Payasa
- Finally, add cardamom.
- Serve hot or cold.